Viewing original strings of translated items

Oct 22, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Hi,

After translating the strings (right column), the original strings (left column) are replaced by the translated strings.

I need the original strings for reviewing. How can I see them, instead of the duplicated translated strings?

Paolo

Coordinator
Oct 22, 2010 at 8:06 AM

I think you are doing something wrong. What are the header captions of the two columns? Do the match? If so, then you are translating the base resource file. You need to press Tools>Add Culture to add a new resource file first.

But just in case, can please you enumerate all the steps you are doing after opening the application? (eg. I click File>Open, I select the file MyResource.resx and click open...)

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Hi Papadi,

First of all, please note I'm using ResEx 1.5 beta on Win XP SP3 (Italian).

Here is what I did to localize my resources.

1) Open the original .resx file.

2) Choose Tools > Add Culture > Italian (Italia).

3) Save the resource file as [filename].it-IT.resx (or did I change the name in Explorer? - can't remember).

4) With the Base Value column on the left, and the it-IT Value column on the right (both after the Key and Base Comm columns) I started translating the it-IT Value column.

5) After saving, closing and reopening the file, all Base Values where 'copied' from the it-IT Value column.

Do you see where the mistake could be?

Paolo

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:42 AM

I found my mistake: I was not opening the original file, but the translation file. Solved.

Paolo

Coordinator
Oct 22, 2010 at 10:30 AM

right! However I reproduced your steps and found some strange behaviour. I created an issue to resolve it later, eventhough it is minor.